November 12, 2009

Fresh Start

Looking for a new church is really humbling. Without our church to define things for me, I've had to really think about what being a Christian means. It has been good for my relationship with God. After all, that's what this is really about. 

When I walk into a church for the first time, no one there knows me. They have no idea how "good" I am, no idea how many times I've been to a church service before (too many!), no idea what I know about Jesus or think about him. 

I've been going to this excellent womens' Bible study. I must admit, I was attracted to it because of the childcare. Two hours of childcare every Wednesday? Sign me up! Ok, part of that was because I knew that it was Sunday School for my kids, and I thought it would be important for the boys while Josh and I are visiting churches. It has actually turned out to be great for my boys, a total blessing. They have learned so much about God, so many great songs, and have really nurturing teachers. 

So, back to me. Yesterday morning I actually made it there in time to get myself something to eat before my class started (it takes me FOREVER to drop off three kids at three classes). As I'm cutting myself a piece of pumpkin bread, the girl next to me is chatting. She introduces herself, tells me about her kids, and then says, "And I saw you have three kids?" Yep. "Three little ones?" Yep. Three, ages three and under. "And you've been married just two years?" I almost spit my coffee on her. Long pause. No, I've actually been married five years. "Oh, that's great!" She left the table.

Do you have any idea who I am? Nope. And it's actually refreshing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I almost spit my juice out laughing when I read this story! I can just picture her saying that to you. It's funny, bc when I church search, I always assume they will think I am "bad" person or not Christian "enough" so I tend to suffer through and slither out the back door. It is good, though, to feel things out with your heart instead of your Christian reputation. What happened to your other church?

mary