I saw my midwife Kathy yesterday, she is the head honcho of the practice, and with over 30 years of midwifery and over 3,000 births under her belt, I trust her. I told her that I think I'm having a big baby and she laughed out loud. She said that she accidentally wrote June 2nd on all of my paperwork as my due date, and I said I'd take it, it sounds like a good day to have a baby. It's only 3 days different (my previous due date was May 30, and before that it was May 20-something), and since I went late with Ethan (and never want to be induced again like I was with Aaron), it could be nice. Anyway, everything is normal normal normal, and we're headed for another home birth. We talked a long time about all of the newborn stuff - erythromycin eye ointment, Vitamin K, Hepatitis B - because I'm not doing any of it this time. She just laughed and said, "You're getting all radical on me." Her kids aren't vaccinated either - and they're in their 30's.
I'm considering the oral Vitamin K (I sure would rather have oral medicine than a shot, so I'm assuming my baby would too), but even that I might not do. I decided that giving Vitamin K was weird when I read that if the baby is formula fed, they don't need it, as the formula has plenty of it, but it's almost nonexistent in breast milk. So, if universally, babies' guts don't make Vitamin K for at least three days, and they don't get it from breast milk, it sounds to me like God didn't intend for them to have it. Don't worry, there's more research behind my decision, but I won't bore you with it. Anyway ...
As for erythromycin, I don't have chlamydia or gonorrhea, so the baby doesn't need that ...
And no one in our household has Hepatitis B, so the baby doesn't need that ...
Etc.
Here's to a healthy beginning. And lots of labs and paperwork in case the baby does go to the hospital, so all of our "refusals" are signed ahead of time. Sigh.
Farewell, Sweet Office
14 years ago
3 comments:
It's funny you mentioned those meds, Sarah. I forgot until recently that that was the "protocol". I don't want any of it either, for the same reasons.
The closer I get, the more I start to remember from nursing school. But now that I'm on the other side of things, it has a different meaning and relevance to me. Funny.
gOOD FOR YOU, when did they start giving babies all this stuff? And I thought they put vit K in for older adults!
Love you, Mom D
You radical, you! I thought of you yesterday and smiled to myself. My good friend Debbie had a home birth (her second) at ten in the morning and was im-ing me a few hours later to tell me. Just like that! None of the trauma, invasiveness, etc. She even posted pics of her others kids with the new baby in the living room... it's a good Way. Good.
m
Post a Comment