January 7, 2009

My Worst Career Move

It's a classic moment of misunderstanding. Josh and I have had this conversation too many times. It's taken three years for me to understand what was really being said. 

I say: "I think I'd like to get a job."
He says: "I thought you wanted to be a mom."
He means: "I thought you wanted to be a full-time stay-at-home-mom."

Josh comes from a family of stay-at-home supermoms. My own mom stayed home with us and homeschooled us, but work was never far from her mind, and she always planned to go back.

I had planned to go back to work when Aaron turned one. By that time, however, I was five months pregnant, and couldn't picture anyone hiring me to work just four months before quitting for another year. And now here comes another baby. So maybe I'll get back to work after this one. Or maybe not. I wrestle with it in my head. It's not that I liked being a nurse ... I did like working outside the house, though. 

Either way, I have been pretty darn domestic since we sold our car. The weather has been wet and our winter coats are not waterproof. I learned that the hard way when we got caught in the rain on our way to the train and all got drenched. No, I cannot push a stroller, hold a toddler's hand, and keep an umbrella over us all. Ha ha. Anyway, we've been stuck in the house for almost a week and I have made bread and cookies and knit like crazy. 

Mary, you told me that I wouldn't recognize myself when my babies had grown to kids. I had no idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a big issue in working outside of the home is how unforgiving American culture is to working moms. The Scadanavian countries have it worked out so much better -- flex hours, in building day care, four hour work days with subsidized pay (up to 90%), etc. Here, I find, if you take a day off because your kid is sick, you are not dedicated to your job. I do find that churchy people tend to favor stay at home moms and question the dedication of working moms, even if implicitly. Me, I just do the best I can by my family while trying to retain a (little) sanity :) Most of all, I hope my choices are pleasing to God.
love, M :)