Our building was broken into two nights ago. At first it didn't bother me, but then yesterday I felt uneasy and today was the same. I'm disappointed because I was really enjoying my walks around the neighborhood, but now I don't feel as safe.
I have a choice. I can be afraid, or I can swallow it. But, there has to be wisdom too.
And this is why we haven't bought a house in Philadelphia (or one reason, there are others I guess): I can't think of any neighborhood here that I really want to live in.
I wish I had the energy to write more and get philosophical about it. Ha ha.
Farewell, Sweet Office
14 years ago
4 comments:
Hey Sarah, don't know if this helps but break-ins happen everywhere. I live in the most desirable neighborhood in Norfolk and a house three houses down was broken into the other week. It was the middle of a bright sunshiney day.
Crime knows no boundary lines and I've heard some say we are equally "safe" everywhere as we are in God's hands. Being a single girl living alone, I like to believe that.
I do still struggle the difference between living in fear and living wisely. Is it unwise for me to approach a needy man on the streets? Or is that a cop-out and am I really acting out of fear or selfish desires.... Hm. Well, I think I'm going off in a new direction. I will pray that you and the boys remain safe in your home.
Sarah, sorry to hear that. I remember getting a phone call one day while working at DHQ that my house had been broken into and much of my photography and video equipment had been stolen. The crazy thing is -- though -- it happened during the night and I didn't even notice it. The bottom line was that I felt completely violated for days and days. It was awful. If you feel apprehensive, it is quite normal. I definitely agree with the not buying a house there! The good neighborhoods are targets because of wealth and the bad neighborhoods are targets because of random crime.
I think it is important to be smart, really smart, have a sense of what is going on around you and be sensible with windows and doors. But your friend Michelle is right -- you are in God's hands and your boys are.
Your sense of security will return in time. Pray for peace. And I will also pray for you.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/11/youth.violence/index.html
This was on the front page of CNN's website.
Mary
I'm praying that God will give you peace throughout your day and that you won't have fear... and also that He will protect you!
Jennifer
Post a Comment