Last week I went to a prenatal yoga class. My sisters laughed when I told them, as I am often known to do things just because they're trendy. But seriously, this class was everything my midwives said it would be and more. I left with every ache in my pregnant body gone, and I was so relaxed. It was incredible. But more than just relieving aches and pains and exercising, there was a lot of time allowed for quiet reflection and celebration of the baby inside. It was good to sit quietly and celebrate this fantastic part of my life. Being pregnant is such an amazing thing spiritually - a life within a life!
Sometimes I am so busy that I forget I am pregnant (until I get hungry!). Culturally, once we get passed the "Congratulations!" we rarely talk about pregnancy until we start saying, "Gosh, she's huge! She hasn't had that baby yet?" :)
Anyway, I won't be back to that yoga class, as the chanting and the association of each pose with its religious origins made me uncomfortable. I'm praying that I'll find something less religious. Really, though, I wish I could find something Christian that celebrates pregnancy, provides quiet meditation time, relieves aches and pains, and is exercise! Gosh. Yoga is the whole package, hmm?
Farewell, Sweet Office
14 years ago
5 comments:
you should look for a yoga type class at a church somewhere. I'm sure that someone else feels the same way as you. :) how are you doing? i love you.
I loooooove yoga. I have a great instructor up here who really focuses on the breathing and meditation parts and leaves the "preaching" elsewhere. So if you ever want to come to Boston for a yoga class, just let me know.
And I now realize that we are friends based on our interest in the "trendy." : )
muchmuchlove!
Hi Sarah, Don't know if you remember me. We'd spent time together with the Mike and Jennifer at their beach house. Anyhow, I just had to say I am in LOVE with Yoga. The physical and emotional calm I feel after it is amazing. I started doing it at a gym and just chose not to particpate with the chanting part. Then I found a video I do at home. It doesn't have to be the whole package.... I hope you find a good compromise. :-)
Sarah there are some yoga pregnancy tapes out there that are not overly chanty. Heather and I loved Crunch Fitness Yoga MAMA when we were preggers together with Seth and Claire. My friend just gave me another one but I haven't played it yet. I will let you know. I think Kathy Smith might do a pregnancy yoga one too and her regular yoga are not annoying.
I will definitely check out those videos, thanks guys! And Sara, I will definitely consider your class in Boston :).
Post a Comment