February 8, 2007

Josh is Home

Thank goodness Josh is home, he has been gone since Sunday on business. Aaron cut his first two teeth this week (nice timing, Josh, missing all that whining!). Hopefully we're done with teeth for a little while and can get back to sleeping.

The other night I couldn't sleep, and I was thinking about the movie The Constant Gardner. I was wondering why it is that I have a hard time mustering up care for people suffering. I thought about people being killed in Sudan, the cardboard cities in Kenya, the children being sold into prostition by their parents in India, women being trafficked, not to mention kids here ... etc. etc. etc. I could go on forever. So why don't I really care?

I think part of it is that I don't really understand what's going on. I don't have a grasp on what's happening in Sudan or the Congo, for example. But I also don't identify with what these people are experiencing because I've never known real fear or suffering myself. In my own life I've called anxiety "fear" and difficulty "suffering." Of course, I'm not asking to understand these things. Deep inside I hope I never know true fear, oppression and suffering. But I do pray to understand, so that I can care.

5 comments:

sara* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

i love you. let me know if you want me to babysit this weekend. i leave for washington on saturday, but i would love to spend some time with Aaron before that... :)

Mary said...

I think we are enculturated to believe that what is going on in the world is not for real -- but like a fairy tale -- something that happens in far away places to non-people.

Sarah said...

It absolutely does feel like a fairy tale to me.

Sarah said...

It absolutely does feel like a fairy tale to me.