We are back up. Hopefully for good! We'll see.
I have been thinking about church. What is the purpose of church?
As a little girl I liked Sunday School - the songs, the crafts, the stories ... and then I "made it" through church, entertaining myself in one way or another. But in Sunday School I learned.
While I was in college I went to a church where I met God in every service. For a long time I didn't know anyone there, and frankly, I didn't care to. I went, sat, and just listened for God to speak. I was never dissapointed.
Josh and I have gone to a church for a while now that has a wonderful community. We're surrounded by lots of young families who share the struggles and joys of life here in Philadelphia.
But I am restless. All three of these churches met needs in my life, but none were a complete experience. I often question the point of "going to church" because I've learned more, met God, and had better "fellowship" outside of church. I guess I am labeling myself "discontent."
Farewell, Sweet Office
14 years ago
4 comments:
Welcome Back! Really missed your ideas a lot. Interesting blog. I was talking to my friend today on the phone. She works on an AIDS project in India and is starting another in Cambodia in the next few weeks. Ironically she said that one of the things she misses is the cerebral conversations we all had in grad school. I said that's what the telephone is for. That's kind of how I view your blog.
Mary
i love you!
Hey! Glad you're back!
"As a little girl I liked Sunday School - the songs, the crafts, the stories ... and then I "made it" through church, entertaining myself in one way or another. But in Sunday School I learned."
RE:Sunday School as a kid - it kinda helped that we had good Sunday School Teachers :-) But, believe it or not, I know what you mean about "making it" through church......just don't tell anyone - I do have a rep to uphold...:-p
Personally, I think that we have the "better" experiences outside of church because that's where we're really supposed to be...in the world, but not of it...or something like that...."going to church" is so overrated in my book...going to meet with God - that's a good thing.....but going to church for the sake of going - not so good.....the key, I think, is to incorporate all of those things: learning, meeting with God and fellowship, into our everyday lives from a Christian worldview.....an incomplete idea at best, but....
Someone told me once there are no perfect churches because there are no perfect people and people are what make up the church. I think looking at Church in that way helps to put our expectations into perspective. I know I have to remind myself that often when I compare different places I have gone to and what I liked and didn't like.
I know corporate worship is mentioned lots of times in the Bible so I believe that is something that God wants us to have or he wouldn't mention it so many times. Plus by not having biblical fellowship with our Christian brothers and sisters how can we be held accountable or grow. How can our sin be revealed and our hearts changed if we are always comfortable.
One thing that has helped me in the past when I am feeling restless in church or caregroup or whatever is to stop focusing on my needs and look at others. There are times and seasons in our lives when we are meant to be the givers/servants/workers/leaders. Where we need to be looking at how we can reach out to others. There have been times I wanted to leave a caregroup because I felt like I was just giving and not receiving but at the end of that year when some other gals talked about how they were blessed to have me in their group I realized although it was difficult at times but that was what God intended for me at that time and season of my life. Sometimes when I look back it is during the dry seasons when God has done the biggest change in my life.
I hope this can be encouraging to you during your difficult time. I will be praying for you.
Post a Comment