September 24, 2006

No More Recipes

So I've discovered that I do like to cook. I used to dislike cooking. The truth is, though, I dislike recipe books. I like to just throw things together. So when I went to the supermarket yesterday, I got what I wanted to get (no meals planned!) and decided to "make whatever." We'll see how it goes. Tonight went well, I think, except that I threw in a whole red chili pepper because I wanted something spicy. I underestimated just how spicy that would make everything ... yow! :)

Anyway, here's my cutie, as usual entertained by Daddy's noise. Ok, Josh just walked by and said, "I was playing a scale." Oops.

Back to the subject of simplicity. I love to shop. And yes, I'm stuck on this question: what is it that I'm trying to fill with all of this stuff? I get defensive right away when I think about it. I think, I have what I need to live in this culture. Hmm. I need it because everyone else has it? Or, to be more truthful, I need it so that I can look better than everyone else?

There are a lot of babies at our church. Last night I was thinking about what Aaron should wear today, and I realized that it's not so much that I care what he's wearing. I want him to look as good as the other kids. No, I want him to look better. It's so silly. I'm annoyed at myself about it. I need at attitude change. :)

3 comments:

sara* said...

I have been stuggling with the same thing. It's making me crazy. Last week my rationale was that it was my first paycheck in two years (which is probably the best reason I've ever actually had). But I'm sure next week I'll have another excuse.

I have cut WAY back on Starbucks though. It's a start...

Bethany said...

That is an adorable picture. I can't wait to see him in November!!

I know how you feel...the whole material thing is a hard thing to balance. I think it is hard here in big cities being surrounded by so much money not to compare. But I too have been in other countries and know how blessed I am even when I don't have everything my neighbor does. You gotta pray and do what is right for you. Thing in and of themselves are not bad it is our response to those things. Do I have to have it...is it an idol so to speak. There may be things I have to deny myself because I want it for wrong reasons or simply don't have the money for it. But on the other hand there are things in my house that I don't need they are just pretty such as pictures on the wall or a tablecloth etc etc, I don't think there is anything wrong with those things unless my heart was wrong in aquiring them. Did I not have the money for the photograph at this time, did I just buy the table cloth to show off my decorating skills or did I have the extra money and want to make my home more welcoming for my familiy and my friends. I know I have to look at my heart and ask why and ask is there something else I could be putting my money towards that would be a better use. It is a hard balance beam to walk. I quite frankly mess up a lot. I think in general most Americans have houses full of stuff that We DON'T need but it all comes down to what is in the heart that counts. It is not bad to have lovely things that are needs it is just bad if my heart attitude towards those lovely things doesn't glorify God.

Bethany said...

I meant to say lovely things that aren't needs. HEE HEE. I haven't had a full cup of coffee yet...and that is a NEED in my case. HA HA