December 2, 2011

Gluten

For some reason, food feels like a private subject to me. I'm not ever going to be a food blogger, and I feel like I'm invading personal spaces when I read food blogs. This is especially funny in light of the fact that I will talk about breastfeeding anywhere, with anyone. But hey, food is special. Or something.

About a month ago I went gluten free, and it fixed my health issues. (What health issues? Fatigue, bowel issues, chronic stuffy nose, and other non-specific things.) Then on Thanksgiving I made Cinnamon Buns, and wanted them, and ate them, ate very many of them actually, and continued eating wheat for the next week. I've been gradually feeling worse (and crankier), and today I woke up feeling terrible. It's not a bad experiment. I was wondering if I was just feeling better because of the enormous numbers of vegetables I'd consumed in that 'gluten free time.' Nope, it really hurts me. So, one week back into wheat, I looked at a bagel this morning - my previous favorite food - and I physically shuddered. It smells like death. Ha.

So that's where we are now. And here's our favorite smoothie recipe. We played with the recipe a lot, and Aaron says this one is PERFECT. Ha. We make it almost every day, and this recipe makes enough for me and the three kids. (Josh is still into gluten. Good for him, lucky man.)

2 large handfuls baby spinach
1 granny smith apple
1 avocado
1 handful frozen blueberries
1-2 cups apple juice
1-2 tbsp ground flax seed

If you, like me, do not have a Vitacost, but use a much cheaper blender (ha), put the ingredients in the blender in the order listed above. :)

No comments: