June 10, 2011

No 'Poo

So my newest "green" addition was to quit shampooing my hair. I decided to wait until we got to camp to start, so that I'd have eight weeks of a place where it's kind of ok to look camp-y. "They" say that it takes 2-8 weeks for hair to adjust. In order to force myself to stick with it, I didn't bring any shampoo or conditioner up here with me. (FYI, Josh brought his own. Ha. The cloth diapers were his idea. He's not so into this one, though.) Anyway ... after much internet research here's what I did:

- 2 tsp baking soda in 3/4 cup warm water. Poured it over my wet hair in the shower, rubbed it in. Rinsed.
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar in 1 cup water. Poured it over my head, let it rest for less than a minute, rinsed.

And you know what? When my hair dried it was fantastic. Gorgeous (if I might say so myself!). It was different than with shampoo - a little wavy, nicely full, and no frizz. And I'm only in the first week of this. So ... I'll update this in a few weeks to let you all know whether it stayed this nice. But for now, I highly recommend it. :)

Here's one of many resources on the topic:
http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/

3 comments:

Avahsmama said...

Josh has been doing no poo for a long time because of his sensitive skin. Then I read up on it for myself, tried it and loved it...but then honestly, I just got lazy :)

It's crazy what shampoo really does to your hair and scalp!

Bethany said...

A friend of mine did what you did but now she has moved on to nothing but water! No baking soda or vinegar

Ziggy said...

apple cider vinegar is truly a gift from God. it makes all things well.