For the first time in my life I've been voluntarily getting up before 7am because ... Josh got me a new sewing machine for Christmas! I am the farthest thing from a morning person, so despite being awake early, I avoid all human contact until after 7am. Why? I am, admittedly, very nasty in the morning. So I've been sewing for about an hour in the mornings before anyone gets up. I've been working through my pile of half-done projects, but after two weeks, I'm really tired of it, so I think I'm going to move on to some new projects. Ethan really needs pants - actually, Ethan needs a total overhaul of his wardrobe, but anyway ... At some point I'll get myself together and get some things made to sell so that I can fund a maid or sending my laundry out. :)
I picked up this book at the library:
I highly recommend the first few chapters. The rest of it is probably good, but I got lost in designer names and more high fashion than I really care about. But I loved the beginning, about the women of WW2:
"The defeated women of Berlin, the liberated women of Bergen-Belsen and of the French Resistance all had in common this collective desire to look pretty. It survived intact, when the rest of their humanity had been assaulted almost beyond repair. I cannot see how such an instinct could be described as superficial if it can withstand the almost total destruction of the personality."

2 comments:
(mz)
It didn't print my comment!
I like this post!
Post a Comment