November 5, 2010

Where in the world have we been?

Well, we've been all over. Literally and figuratively. I'll blog on it all eventually ... making decisions on kindergarden, vacationing, camping, family reunion-ing, cooking, painting the apartment, having a change of heart, still 'forgetting' to exercise, and of course ... cloth diapering.

So, to start, the cloth diapers ... of course!

During the summer Mae got a bad diaper rash. We treated her for a yeast rash ... later we had to treat for Staph. I think I over-treated the yeast and gave the bacteria an advantage on her skin. Although, in my mind I'm sure she got Staph from one (or both) of the boys picking their noses. But I'll never say that out loud. Anyway.

We finally, this past week, got an official "all clear" on the Staph. Funny thing is, when I put Mae back into the cloth diapers, we had rash issues again. These diapers were so stripped and so clean and so rinsed, I know it wasn't anything hanging out in the fabric. I told Josh that maybe, gasp!, we had a baby that just needed disposables. Then I made a page of notes about Mae's rashes. It took about twenty minutes of this to see that Mae got rash when I switched her to all cotton-inner diapers. The boys both did best in cotton. Mae, it turns out, can't do cotton or fleece. Only suedecloth. That relegates us to the BumGenius brand, which I don't mind, as they're really my favorite anyway. I bought six Flip stay-dry inserts and within a couple of hours she was better (!).

So, I have lots of diapers for sale, and I have actually been only buying her exactly what she NEEDS, as I have the cash from my diaper sales to pay for it. Can you believe it? I kind of can't. After blowing our budget every month for three years straight, I actually did great this month. But that's another topic ... for tomorrow.

(As a side note, her sensitive skin does great with Nellie's Laundry Soda. She's ok with Rockin' Green Classic Detergent, but can't do the "Hard" formula. )

Happy diapering to my mama friends. :)