Tonight I laid on my bed and watched the sun go down while Ethan and Mae fell asleep on either side of me. What a superb luxury.
My mom came with me to the Farmer's Market today. I was so excited to share it with her. It is the highlight of my week. I bought a big load of summer's bounty, and then we drove out to the creamery for cheese and to another farm for raw goat's milk. We talked with the farmer there for a while about his business, and if you've watched Food Inc., please know that it is true. He is paying $500 a month for testing, and the Health Department is refusing him permits to sell his milk and meat. Meanwhile, a monstrously huge "farm" nearby is operating with the local government's blessing. It is frustrating. I've seen cows chained in their pens at a place that welcomed me in for a tour. - It's disturbing. And I've seen this family's stunningly beautiful small farm, with their cows and goats free roaming around the gorgeous fields. It's frustrating. So ... I'll make the drive out and 'vote with my dollar,' as they say.
Only a week and a half left for us here. Where has the summer gone?
Farewell, Sweet Office
14 years ago
2 comments:
I showed my students the movie Food, Inc. and they were disturbed. Their parents complained bc it was "too disturbing" for the kids. We've finally started buying decent foods and are on the same budget. The biggest change: choosing carefully instead of loading up a shopping cart.
I am LOVING the veggies we got! And my fridge is about empty but I do have a gallon of goat's milk left, some fresh meat in my freezer and some yummy cheese in the fridge and a basketful of fresh veggies on my kitchen counter. Life is just more beautiful when you shop at farms!
Let's find some around here when you get back!
Post a Comment