March 24, 2010

Easy Ironing Board Cover Tutorial

I've been eyeing these ironing board covers on Etsy for a while, but thought I should do this project myself ... so here's my tutorial. This is a really easy project with minimal sewing. :) It's also a good one to do with a friend, as the width of the fabric is enough to make two covers. Or, you could make cloth napkins or a laundry bag with the leftovers.

(Please excuse my dark pictures - I do my sewing at night when everyone here is asleep!)

Note: Don't dismantle your ironing board before starting, as you'll need to iron to make the new one.

Supplies:
2 yards of cotton fabric
100% cotton batting (enough to cover the top of the board)
Matching thread
Scissors (and pinking shears if you have them)
String/Twine/Ribbon (it won't show, doesn't matter if it matches)
Ruler
Safety pin

1) Lay the batting on the ironing board and cut out the batting to the size of just the top of the board.

2) Lay the batting on top of the fabric and cut the fabric 2.5" bigger than the batting.
If you use pinking shears to cut the fabric, you'll only have to fold over the edge once before sewing.


3) Put the batting aside. Lay the fabric on the ironing board, fold the edge of the fabric to the inside, and press. I like to iron the seam as I'm going along.
(If you did not use pinking shears, fold over the edge twice so the raw fabric edge doesn't show.)

You'll need the fold to be big enough for both your sewing seam and your string/ribbon.

To make the corners neat: fold over one side, then fold in the corner, then fold the next side.

4) Sew the seam.
Leave a big enough pocket for your string/ribbon, and leave about 2" unsewn for inserting the string later.

5) Lay the cover out flat and measure enough string/ribbon to go all the way around, plus some.

6) Tie the end of the string in a knot around a safety pin.

7) Thread the safety pin (and string) through your seam.

8) Lay your batting on the top of your board, then center the fabric on top. Pull the string tight and tie in a bow. Tuck the ends of the string in. Done!

2 comments:

dawn said...

I may just have to do this! Very nice!

Heatherelle said...

Sarah, I need you to come here and give me sewing lessons! But first I need to buy a sewing machine! :0) The one I got after graduation died several years ago. Now I have to just live vicariously through others' craftiness!