I am not anti-vaccine. I think it would be fantastic if they were safe and effective. But the current philosophy makes no sense. I should keep giving my child the vaccines until someone proves that they are not safe? So far, no one aside from those selling the vaccines says they're safe. And, for that matter, I can't find any evidence that they work.
If you see anything that pertains to this, I'd love to have it sent my way.
Oh, and the CDC & FDA are NOT independent. The FDA is run by the drug companies. The CDC ... I think the CDC is a total mess.
9 comments:
I think I may have asked you this before, but have you watched The Constant Gardener? The drug companies and research companies are all in bed with each other. When my doctor wanted me to start taking statin drugs (when I was 25!!!!!), I researched high cholesterol overseas. It turns out that high cholesterol is a relative term. The FDA lowered the threshold of what is high so more people will be taking statins.... It's disgusting. mz
I found your blog (linked from someone else's but can't remember who though...sorry). Anyhow, I have some info on vaccines, but it is from lots and lots and lots of info that I looked at over a really long period of time, so I don't remember exactly who it all came from. I did use the CDC for some, but mainly for the info packet that you are supposed to get when you get the shots...it has the ingredients on it and such, and then I looked up the statics for the rate of disease, etc. for our state/county.
I will just c&p it here...if you don't want it feel free to delete it.
What is polio? Virus. Spread kinda like the common cold. It also can be spread through the fecal/ oral route. When a non-infected person comes in contact with the stool of an infected person. There are three different strains of the virus that causes Polio. Symptoms range from a sore throat/ slight fever to muscle weakness/ paralysis. However, the paralysis occurs less often. Most cases of polio are harmless (90-95%). Most often is usually not fatal.
What are the odds of catching polio? Polio is now very, very rare. In fact, there hasn't been a case in the US since the 1980s. From about the 1970's to the last reported case, the person caught polio from the vaccination. It was when it was given in the oral form.
"Recommended schedule" 2months, 4 months, 18 months, and 5 year booster.
Polio ingredients- To name a few, formaldehyde, baby cow blood products, monkey cells, aborted fetal tissue, phenoxyethanol
Adverse reactions- All the standard ones (pain, fever, diarrhea, vomiting, headaches, etc.) Plus Guillain-Barre syndrome. Guillain-Barre is symmetric weakness of the limbs develops over a few days, begins in the legs, and sometimes progresses to complete paralysis.
Why I don't allow my child to get this one For one, Polio is not common anymore in the US. The only way that I would choose to do this was if we were planning on traveling to Africa/ Asia. I also don't agree with the ingredients.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hib
What is HIB? HIB stands for Haemophilus Influenzae Type B. This is a type of bacteria. This can cause infections like pneumonia and meningitis. However, these reactions to the bacteria are rare. Most of the time a HIB infection presents as nothing more than like a common cold.
What are the odds of catching HIB? Well there were 25 cases last year. It is very rare to catch HIB beyond the age of three. Obviously, there are probably more cases a year than this. But if it presents as the common cold then we really won't be able to tell exactly. HIB is treatable with antibiotics.
"Recommended schedule" 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 15 months.
HB vax ingredientsAluminum (obviously there are more, but this is the most controversial)
Adverse Reactions All the usual ones plus Guillian Barre and an actual HIB infection
Why I don't get the vax for my child For one, it isn't common. I am not about to vax for cold symptoms. Secondly, a breastfed baby who does not attend daycare has a tiny risk of catching this disease.
Pneumococcal Disease
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Pneumococcal disease (PC)? This is a type of bacteria. This can cause infections like pneumonia and meningitis. However, these reactions to the bacteria are rare. Most of the time a PC infection presents as nothing more than like a common cold.
What are the odds of catching PC? It is a fairly common cause of a respiratory infection similar to the common cold. However, it isn't a reportable disease so we don't know how common it is. Severe cases in healthy children are rare. It tends to occur in the elderly. PC is treatable with antibiotics.
"Recommended schedule" The vaccine is called Prevnar. 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, and 15 months.
Prevnar vax ingredients Aluminum (obviously there are more, but this is the most controversial)
Adverse Reactions Seizures
Why I don't get the vax for my child Again, I don't believe in vaxing for the common cold. Yes, more serious cases can occur but I would rather take my chances with that, then give antibiotics than risk giving him the vax. Also, breastfed babies who do not attend daycare have a lower risk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hepatitis A
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Hep A? Virus. Causes liver issues. Mainly liver swelling. Most kids who get this don't get any symptoms. Adults who get this notice digestion issues and are often jaundiced (yellow skin).
What are the odds of catching Hep A? This is a fecal/oral transmission. Around 10,000 cases last year. If it is contracted it is not usually serious. Most kids don't even exhibit symptoms. If they do, they are normally digestion issues that go away and are mild.
"Recommended schedule" 1 year and 18 months. This vax wasn't even given to kids routinely until 2006.
Hep A vax ingredients cow blood products, formaldehyde, aborted fetal tissue cells, aluminum, etc
Adverse reactions the standard plus nerve issues, seizures, encephalitis (brain swelling) and multiple sclerosis. Granted these are rare, but they have happened.
Why I don't get the vax for my child. I don't agree with the ingredients list. Hep A isn't considered serious. I would rather take my chances with the disease than the vax.
Hepatitis B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Hep B? Virus. It is a sexually transmitted disease. Can also be spread by sharing needles. Symptoms are digestion issues (vomiting/ diarrhea, pain in abdomen) etc.
What are the odds of catching Hep B? Around 7500 new cases a year. Very rare for children because the majority of kids aren't having unprotected sex and sharing needles. Obviously, if they do contract the disease it can be serious. Leading to liver failure later in life.
"Recommended schedule" Birth, 1 month, 6 months. Some people vax at 2 months instead of 1.
Hep B vax ingredients formaldehyde, aluminum, etc
Adverse reactions the standard plus deadly allergic reactions, bleeding disorders, arthritis, lupus, visual disturbances, liver damage, seizures, MS
Why I don't get the vax for my child. I don't think that my 1 year old needs a vax for an STD quite yet. I try to keep him from having unprotected sex. This is one vaccine that I would discuss with him when he reaches sexual maturity. He can make the choice for himself if he would like the vaccine at that time.
DTaP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is DTaP? DTaP stands for Diptheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis. All of these diseases are combined in one vax.
What is Diptheria and what are the odds of catching it? A bacteria. Basically a throat infection. Causes breathing difficulty. It is NOT common at all. Around 5 cases a year. 10% of those cases are fatal if not treated. Treatment is available.
What is Tetanus and what are the odds of catching it? Bacteria. Lives on soil and rusty metal. Can occur in deep puncture wound. Causes muscle contraction. It is not common.
What is Pertussis and what are the odds of catching it? Commonly called whooping cough. Bacteria. Infects upper lungs. It is fairly common and considered most serious in the first six months of life. After that, it generally isn't serious. There is a decreased risk of catching pertussis if the child isn't in a daycare setting.
"Recommended Schedule" 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 18 months, 5 years
DTaP ingredients (different brands) aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, polysorbate, phenoxyethanol
Adverse reaction the standard plus brain damage, nerve dysfuctions, Guillain Barre, some say diabetes type 1, bleeding disorders, seizures, etc
Why I don't get the vax for my child. Well, I don't like the ingredients. I don't like fact that "they" are trying to do a three for one special in vaccines. Diptheria isn't common. Pertussis doesn't scare me after the age of six months and my child doesn't attend daycare. I would consider getting tetanus after a deep puncture wound.
Rotavirus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Rotavirus? Intestinal virus. It causes vomiting and diarrhea. First hand I can tell you than the diarrhea is severe but managable. The important thing about rotavirus is to make sure the child is hydrated well. For my son, it lasted around a week or so. He was crabby and didn't want to do anything but nurse, but we got through it just fine. My husband and I also had it. Much less severe.
What are the odds of catching Rotavirus? Yes it is. Around 2 million cases a year. Only serious if the person when person gets dehyrated. Common in daycare centers when workers don't wash hands between diaper changes.
"Recommended schedule" 2 months, four months, and six months
Rotavirus vax ingredients (different brands) cow blood products, monkey cells, fetal cells, live virus strains.
Adverse reactions the standard plus seizures, intestinal blockage.
Why I don't get the vax for my child. I don't like the ingredients. We had the disease and it was fine. He isn't in daycare and he is breastfed.
Mmr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is MMR? MMR stands for measles, mumps, and rubella.
What is measles and what are the odds of catching it? Virus. Causes fever and rash. It is not common anymore. Around 50-100 cases a year. It is not serious. Gone in about a week.
What is mumps and what are the odds of catching it? Virus. Similar to measles. Causes fever, rash, and swelling of saliva glands. Not common at all. Around 250 cases a year. Not considered serious. Very rarely it cause men and women sterile.
What is rubella and what are the odds of catching it? Causes a rash. Can also cause swelling of glands. In children the disease is very mild. Rubella is more serious for the fetus of a pregnant mother. It can cause birth defects. It is not common. Around 250 cases a year. Around 3 babies a year are born with rubella related birth defects.
"Recommended schedule" 1 year and 5 years
MMR ingredients aborted fetal tissue, cow blood products, chick embryo
Adverse reactions the standard plus mealus infection, diabetes, bleeding, rubella infection, life-threatening rash, mumps infection, rare deaths, inflammed organs, deafness, seizures, Guillain-Barre, chronic arthritis, brain swelling, and some say autism.
Why I don't get the vax for my child. I don't like the ingredients. The diseases aren't serious enough/ common enough to warrant the vax IMO. Also, the list of adverse reactions is way too long for me. The risk of autism is very real to me. I have a step son with autism. I would rather take my chances with measles, mumps, and rubella than inject this into my child. I will allow any daughters I have to decide if they would like the rubella part of the vax upon sexual maturity to reduce her rate of fetal defects.
Post a Comment