May 13, 2008

The making of a modern cloth diaper.

Aaron was outgrowing his diapers, so I decided to try to make some myself. Thanks to Google, they came out really well! It was a fun project but pretty time consuming ... not sure I'll do it again. At the beginning it took me about an hour per diaper. I got faster by the end. Anyway ...
I picked out fun colors. Laminated polyester for the outside (waterproof) and cotton velour for the inside (soft and doesn't feel too wet on baby's bottom). These are "pocket diapers" so I bought an absorbant core to stuff into them after they're finished.

I couldn't pin through the waterproof layer because the pins leave holes that make the fabric leak!
Some diaper cuts waiting to be sewn ...
I learned that "Velcro" is a brand, and very expensive! I used "Aplix" instead.
Tabs. I actually didn't end up using many of these. I didn't like them as much as I thought I would on the dipes.
Waiting to go in the dryer on a long, hot cycle to close up the holes from sewing.

Side view ...

And front view.

All done!

4 comments:

Heatherelle said...

Sarah, you are amazing! These look great! I love all the bright colors. I need you to live closer so you can give me sewing lessons. But first I need to buy a sewing machine. :0)

Give those boys a kiss from me!

Anonymous said...

Sarah -- these are awesome. I have a friend who is a stay at home mom who makes and sells her own diapers. She said she uses hemp and something else. Yours are so, so cute! Makes you actually want to change a diaper :)

MZ

sara* said...

I am thoroughly amazed!! When will you be putting them up for sale? :) I have three preggo friends!

Bethany said...

AMAZING!!!!!!! They look so cute and fun. Sooooo you and I do need to open and Etsy shop together you cover the bottoms I cover the tops. HEE HEE. HUGS