Right now I have a rare moment of quietness. Ethan is sleeping, Aaron is quietly playing on his own.
I got a copy of Mothering magazine yesterday. It always makes me think. Right now I'm thinking about an article on sustainability. What does "sustainability" really mean for our family?
I've been trying to avoid buying plastics. However, I could use some storage for Aaron's toys. Right now they're all in a plastic laundry basket, and that works fine, but now that he's getting older it would be nice if they were a little more organized. For example, it would be nice to separate the blocks from the cars.
I was looking at some options at Ikea yesterday. Is it better to:
A) Buy the plastic bins, which will end up in a landfill for hundreds of years, or
B) Buy the banana leaf baskets, which will decompose nicely but were most likely sprayed with pesticides and sealants?
Darn it, when did I become so conscious? It makes things complicated.
Farewell, Sweet Office
14 years ago
5 comments:
Ikea does have some cloth ones and some nylon ones which are a little better than plastic. ClosetMaid has some cloth bins too - I got them at Target to keep my work toys organized...
Funny you should say Ikea -- they also have cloth baskets/organizers as well -- and they are really affordable. Ikea has very green practices as well and not because it's a corporate trend.
m
p.s. a conscious is a hard thing to have. most don't.
Oh, you'll appreciate this: our ban on plastics continues... Corningware is at the top of our Christmas list.
We are still playing with chopsticks though. DOn't worry... we can still see. *hahaha*
I didn't mean to be negative about Ikea at all. And, I didn't even think about cloth baskets. What a good idea. :)
target has some good canvas ones too
Post a Comment