May 10, 2007

Big Banana Bozos

These cookies have been my favorite snack since I was a kid. The trick to liking them (and getting your family to really like them too) is to start with recipe #1 and progress slowly to recipe #2. I didn't figure that out because I'm smart, it came because I didn't have most of the ingredients in this recipe and picked them up one every couple of weeks or so, as I remembered. :)

Anyway, it's from a great book called "Smart Cookies" by Jane Kinderleherer.

Recipe #1 (Sarah's unhealthy version to make me feel like I'm eating something healthy)
2/3 cup white flour (plus some)
2 tbsp wheat germ
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp molasses
2+ tbsp sugar
1 egg
2 large bananas
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Recipe #2 (The real deal)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I still use white, the whole wheat flour is too much for me)
2 tbsp soy flour
2 tbsp wheat germ
2 tbsp brewer's yeast
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped cashews, lightly roasted (I don't do these)
1/2 cup sunflower seeks, lightly roasted (I don't do these)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
2 tbsp honey
1 egg
1 large banana (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup raisins or unsweetened carob chips (I still use chocolate)

Bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes or until firm.
(I find they cook best when they're a small spoonful or less each.)
Enjoy ...

3 comments:

Michelle said...

ooo... sounds yum. I'll have to try it.

Jennifer said...

Not to be a dork Sarah, but what temp. and how long do you bake them for... I'm eager to try baking them.

Love,

JL

Thanks for today. I had fun with you.

Sarah said...

:) I updated it with the temp/time.